What is the Senior Exhibition?
Senior Exhibition is the culminating activity in the Career Pathways Internship and a GMCHS requirement for graduation. It is an opportunity for students to review and share their growth and experiences over their two years in Middle College, in particular in relation to their internship experiences. While at first it may seem daunting, every senior has commented afterwards that it was a valuable and rewarding experience, a worthy capstone for those who accepted the challenge to cross the bridge to college and career ahead of their peers.
Who Is Involved?
All Middle College students will make a presentation.
Panels hearing presentations will include at least:
- a Middle College instructor
- a GUHSD district employee such as a district official, trustee or comprehensive high school teacher or counselor or a Grossmont College employee such as a counselor or administrator
- a member of the community such as an Internship Supervisor, a student or parent, or a former high school or college employee, student or parent
When are Senior Exhibitions?
Presentations will be made at the end of the Senior year in June. Download the PowerPoint outline to begin planning your Senior Exhibition.
What Will I Need to Do?
- Create a Career Pathways Internship Binder. Be sure to include your Planners and your Internship Enrollment and Documentation forms and your Reflections for each semester in order, first to last.
- Include your Personal Statement, Photo Pages, and Resume. They should be updated and neatly typed or written in ink.
- Be sure to include a Letter of Recommendation from an Internship supervisor or an employer.
- Provide any additional interesting evidence of your experience. Photos are a great way to connect your audience to your experiences. Power Point presentations, videos, demo CDs or tapes, artifacts, or additional binders providing evidence of your experiences are other good ways to communicate with your audience.
- Prepare a 10-15 minute presentation that showcases your GMCHS experience. You don’t have to memorize it, and DON’T read from a prepared speech! BORING! You may have a few discreet note cards and the visual outline on your Power Point. Do plan out what you will say!
- Practice, practice, practice! (You will have opportunities to practice in class.)
- Dress professionally, be on time, and smile! This is your opportunity to shine!
Where Will I Go?
Unless otherwise directed, you will go to our classroom, Room 38G. Please wait outside until you are called.
How Will I Be Evaluated?
Panel members will use the Senior Exhibition Evaluation Form. They are eager for you to be successful, so don’t let worries get in the way of this special day. Enjoy your walk through your high school memories with some wonderful people who are happy to give their time to complete your Middle College and Career Pathways experience.
Why Do the Senior Exhibition?
The importance of communicating effectively cannot be over-emphasized. It may be one of the most significant skills you will use in your life after high school, so it is very appropriate that there be an evaluation of your ability. At work and in your personal life, it will be important to be able to research a topic, develop support, engage an audience, and provide a clear and interesting presentation, in a professional manner. You build confidence in making presentations through experience.
Senior Exhibition also provides you with an opportunity to reflect on your Middle College experience and share it with others in our community.
So, the Senior Exhibition reflects the knowledge and skills you have developed through your many experiences during the past two years and provides you with a platform to reflect and share what you have learned during this very important time.